Hart Crowser, Inc., is a multi-disciplinary earth, environmental, and natural resources consulting firm headquartered in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. We are currently seeking a Staff Geologist for our Environmental Services Division in Portland, Oregon. We regard this position as a first step in developing and advancing as a consultant at Hart Crowser.
The position will focus initially on field work, including assistance on site investigations and monitoring programs. Projects include those with Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) staff under Hart Crowser’s contract with the DEQ as well as projects for a diverse private and public client base. This position will involve extensive field work; therefore, prior field experience and availability for long days and multiple days in a row, regardless of the weather, is critical. Strong observation, technical writing, team interpersonal skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision are also necessary.
Required Education: BS or MS degree in geology, including an emphasis on environmental disciplines.
Certifications and Licenses: State drivers’ license with a good driving record is required. In-process to obtain a Registered Geologist license.
Required Experience: 0- to 3-years related professional experience in relevant areas. Acceptable candidates range from recent college graduate with solid academic performance to experienced field staff members. Strong technical writing skills are critical. The ideal candidate should also have a desire to support business development and revenue generation efforts.
Responsibilities of This Role Will Require the Following:
- Ability to work flexible and changing schedules, including overtime and occasional weekends, and willing to travel daily within the region.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in all weather conditions.
- Strong commitment to safety.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Experience with GPS and data management.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Additional Desirable Qualifications Include the Following:
- Prior consulting experience, such as: Projects ranging from Phase I Environmental Site Assessments (per ASTM and AAI standards) to environmental investigation and remediation projects; Collecting field data following an established protocol; Interaction with subcontractors, including obtaining quotes, overseeing their work, and invoice review; and General knowledge of DEQ environmental regulations and protocols. Knowledge of Washington MTCA may be useful as well.
- 40-hour HAZWOPER (will be a requirement for the position once started).
- Washington or Oregon state boating license.
- Prior experience with the following: Powerboat operation, including inclement weather conditions; Statistical analysis and chemistry; Geographic Information Systems (GIS); and Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs, or drones).
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate must be able to provide documentation of eligibility to work in the US. Hart Crowser has a strong commitment to provide an environment that fosters creative thinking and opportunities for professional development. As an employee-owned company, each individual contributes to the success of the firm. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their confidential cover letter and resume.
HART CROWSER, INC.
An Affirmative Action/EOE/M/F/Disabled/VET/VEVRAA Federal Contractor/E-Verify Employer